Pages

Monday, June 22, 2015

The Best Kind of Mac 'n Cheese

Monday, June 22, 2015
Food blog post take two... I promise these will get better as time goes on.

Mac 'n Cheese is one those good ol' classics that has stood the test of time. The microwavable tubs were a saving grace at school, and though my hopes were high, the cafeteria mac 'n cheese had, well, plastic in it.. So that became a no go. But what if you're too classy for the classic Velveeta and shells?What if you need to be the one-upping weirdo who's just gotta' say "I make GOUDA mac 'n cheese!?!" Well hopefully I will be able to give you all you need in order to be that person, and more!


LET'S GO!


First things first....the recipe. I found this one here and it's magnificent.

Next, remember to make the pasta. Pft! I did't forget or anything I just want to make sure you don't forget...

Anyway,

What You Need


  • 2 cups of dry macaroni, cooked al dente (about six minutes)
  • 2 Tbsp of butter
  • 2 Tbsp of all purpose flour
  • 2 cups of milk 
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 cups of grated smoked gouda 


Process

  1. Set oven to 350F
  2. Melt the butter and add the flour. Combine, and cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
  3. Add milk and combine. Bring to a simmer until the milk is thickened.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
  5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Mix cooked macaroni with sauce and pour into baking dish. Bake for thirty minutes until bubbling.
  7. Add more cheese on top and place under broiler until the cheese is browned.

Two cups usually requires almost an entire wheel of gouda...I also ate most of what was left before I took this picture




If that looks like more than 2 Tbsp's of butter that's because it is....butter :D
I also didn't use unsalted as the original recipe said to. I'm a rebel at heart.

Step number two

FLOUR!

Mmmmmm...?
There's always a step in recipes that just looks gross.


Added milk and cheese



Beautiful ain't it?

And DONE! 

I don't have any extraneous suggestions for this one, it works out really well as is :D

Enjoy!


~Campus Curmudgeon






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Campus Curmudgeon © 2014